Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Road Trip/Kidnapping

On Sunday I went on the "picnic" with my students. We ended up near the Bulgaian border, I was attacked by a horse, and I got home 7.5 hours after we left.

Actually, they were very nice. They bought me a massive Turkish breakfast at some roadside joint overlooking a forest which was incredible. Then someone decided to just keep driving. It was bizarre. Actually, I felt a little stressed by the end of it, but I'm glad I went. I have photos of shanty towns and nothingness, and a couple of the horse that attacked me. I was actually headbutted by it as I ran away.

While on the picnic, I tried explaining St Patrick's Day to my students. Suffice it to say, once I mentioned St Patrick was a Catholic saint, they couldn't get passed the idea that it was just a religious holiday. I tried mentioning drinking and the color green, but they just looked confused. Also, when I tried explaining that St Patrick drove the snakes out of Ireland, they didn't believe me, because they took the word 'drove' literally and the word for mosquito in Turkish sounds like 'snake' so I think they had a mental image of some good samaritan Christian driving with all the mosquitos in Ireland in his car. Nevermind.

No comments: